Saturday, April 11, 2009

Julie's Adventures in Cooking

I've been inspired to start to pretend to be a decent cook. I want Carter to grow up to appreciate good, healthy food. To accomplish this I am aware that I should be able to cook a thing or two. I'll start posting some of my adventures...


Inspired by Carter's Nonna, I attempted a bacon and egg strata. It was VERY easy and so tasty!


I started preparing for Easter today with a little bit of cooking :-P I am starting out slow but steady!

I prepared a few things today for Easter Dinner at Mom-Mom's tomorrow.
I used my friend Emina's Butternut Squash recipe (provide by Cristin). I cheated and snuck a few spoon fulls today. It was so yummy. I am so excited to have some tomorrow!


2 tbs butter1 small onion, peeled and diced

2lbs butternut squash1 golden delicious apple, peeled and cored

1 quart chicken stock or water

1 bay leaf1 spring thyme

1 tbs honeysalt, pepper

1 cup heavy cream (optional)

1/4 cup grated cheddar, asiago or fontina cheese (optional)

saute onion, apple and squash for a few minutes.

add stock/water, bay leaf, thyme and honey. salt lightly and bring to boil. simmer for 15-20 min, until squash very soft. remove thyme and bay leaf.

puree the soup. return to pot and add cheese and cream. serve.

And here are just some fun cupcakes :-) Nothing special about them just LOVE THE ICING. YUM.


No comments: